Mt. Kailash

Mt. Kailash

Saturday 21 July 2012

The Kemaliye Stone Road

Left Goreme about 9ish for the long ride to today`s goal. The Stone Road at Kemaliye. As I am moving further east in Turkey, the scenery is getting better. By the time I reached Divrigi it was very good indeed. Stopped to see the old World Heritage Mosque and Hospital and then headed off in search of the Road. Now my GPS and I don`t always have the easiest of relationships. It has sent me down a rocky, narrow hikers mountain track (in Colmar, France), swearing blind it was a good sealed road! (Out of spite, I am sure). That was forgiven today. I just punched in Kemaliye as a destination intending to ask someone there where the Stone Road was, but my GPS took me down the actual road en route. It was a spectacular ride. A section of rough cut tunnels and gravel track following the Euphrates (well, according to my GPS!) as it meandered down a steep valley. No barriers and sheer drops made for an intense ride. "Awesome" is a much overused word, but here it is fully justified. If you find yourself in Turkey on a bike: ride the Stone Road!

Soundtrack: Nick Cave ─ Good Good Day



After spending the night in the small town of Kemaliye, I headed north-east towards the Sumera monastery. Again, some spectacular riding roads over the mountains, including some unscheduled dirt roads (GPS taking the piss, again!). The monastery was in a stunning location, but at 30 TL to get in, I contented myself with the view from outside. Ended the day in the coastal town of Trabzon. Now, I don't know if it was because it was Friday, or the start of Ramadan, or another reason, but beer could not be found in Trabzon. This may or may not have influenced my decision to head to (Christian) Georgia the next day.

Soundtrack: Faithless - God is a D.J.


No comments:

Post a Comment